[TechAssist] Re: Any way to revitalize dead sealed lead acid batteries?

  • From: Jim Shupe <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

Gary..

  You can get pretty carried away playing with
rechargeable batteries. I've been fascinated by them
since I was a kid... at 10 the thing I wanted most was
an old car battery.
  In the eighties, I designed a "cycler" to
automatically take the battery to full-charge, then
discharge to nominal (9.6V, if I remember correctly)
to maintain battery chemistry and capacity. I can't
remember the number of cycles, but half a dozen or so
would be plenty, I'm sure. Rechargeables are like the
body...use it or lose it! Once the cells are
sulphated, the plates can actually be physically
damaged by the formation of large crystals and
short..I always look for battery voltages lower by
cell voltage multiples (2.2V for lead-acid) as an
indicator of shorted cells. I've never been successful
clearing a shorted lead-acid cell.
  People will tell you different things about
batteries, especially how to charge them.I always
charge lead-acid with constant voltage(2.35V per cell)
and no current limit.

  Have fun..
  Jim Shupe, CET
  Lloyd's TV