[TCUG] Re: Toucan Green Wave Indicators for Cyclists

  • From: "Peter Jones" <Peter.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:52:34 +0100

Countdown timers appear to be a good idea in certain circumstances but,
when I naively asked Suku at Traffex why we couldn't use them on signals
in this country, he pointed out that such sites would then need to be on
fixed time, or at least not operating under SCOOT. At this point, I felt
like a new arrival on the UTC scene, turned a deeper shade of pink and
moved on!

I often cycle also, when not blasting up the road on my motorbike, and
I admit that at busy times, or in quiet times when traffic is moving
faster, I am too scared to ride along the road and often use the
pavements. Every driver has their own idea of how much room they give
you, some treat you as an unknown entity and give about 6 feet, others
treat you as being on railway lines, in spite of 40 mph gusting winds,
and leave you around 6 inches!

I don't see what the advantage to a count down timer would be when
compared to improving safety in some way. The fact is, we will not
achieve a considerable modal shift to cycling that will warrant spending
millions, until today's children grow up with the fear of global
warming. Should we now plan for that generation instead?

Peter Jones
Principal Traffic Systems Engineer

Phone: +44 (0) 151 934 4254
Fax:     +44 (0) 151 934 2850

Sefton MBC - UTC
3rd Floor
Magdalen House
30 Trinity Road
Bootle
L20 3NJ

>>> "Bernie Japs" <Bernie.Japs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 11/04/2008 16:24 >>>
Phil

Would you not require special authorisation to install such a
facility?=20

Bernie