[TCUG] Re: 'Close associated' signals

  • From: "Bruce Slattery" <bruce_slattery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mervyn.hallworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:06:37 +0100

Mervyn, this comes down to individual junction design unless you are =
considering the phase opposite a right turn indicative green arrow when =
closely associated green arrows should be used to prevent the 'dead mans =
turn' syndrome where accidents occur because of people incorrectly =
assuming the opposing phase is red because theirs is red.=20

Generally I tend to prefer closely associated secondaries especially on =
wider roads as when put in with duplicate primaries they give a very clear =
signal at the stop line that you should stop as there are 3 red signals.=20=

I also feel that they encourage pedestrians to look at the traffic to make =
sure it has stopped rather than crossing when the vehicle has a red signal =
and is 'bound' to stop.

All in all we use these as the norm and only use far sided secondaries =
where closely associated secondaries are not appropriate.=20

I was not aware of any comparative safety reasearch and would be interested=
 to know whether there is a safety case for either option.

Regards=20

Bruce Slattery
Trafic Signals and ITS Manager   =20

>>> mervyn.hallworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx 10/26/04 18:00 PM >>>

Grahame,

That's really the point - we do tend to get complaints where we don't use
far-side secondaries, but it seems to me that on certain junctions
('simple' junctions where the phasing is not split) there is no need for =
it
- we should provide them with the signal they require.

Mervyn

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the
intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient,
please do not use or disclose the information in anyway and please
delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.=20

Service of legal documents is not accepted by email        =20