[tcb] Re: Timing

  • From: "chuck" <sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 09:04:38 -0500

What he said.Plus wheel bearing grease,Chassis grease,motor oil,and just about anything else that's slick.It is also very important to make sure that there is no rough places on the rubbing part of the shaft.Such as rust.That will do more damage to the rubbing block than lack of lubrication.

oleblue
----- Original Message ----- From: "Duncan" <whocanduncan1@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 23:17:07
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Question at the top --- what do you guys use for rubbing-block grease.
Points used to come with a little tube of stuff that looked like thick
vaseline. Now they don't.

Well,

It's an all too common VW combo-problem. Can't have *ONE* thing go
wrong at a time. It always has to be *TWO* (or more) things that
exacerbate the issues.

1. I didn't ADVANCE the timing like I said, I RETARDED it. I always get
that backwards. I had it set at TDC to get the motor to sort of
stumblingly run. The marks on the pulley are 7.5 and 10 BTDC. I had it
set at 10 BTDC and it wouldn't catch.

2. After getting it back to the stuttery backfiring but idling point we
grabbed a can of ether. Making sure all the vacuum ports had tight caps
and the air cleaner was firmly seated we sprayed aroung the carb base

no change

then we sprayed higher around the center of the body where the throttle
shaft and accelerator pump cover are

zoom zoom. It idled faster. Still did a lot of backfiring and
sputtering but it definitely picked up.

So, the carb IS sucking air somewhere. I ordered a replacement today.

Then, since I knew I was going to be waiting on the carb I decided we
should do all the other "little stuff"

Made absolutely sure I was on the compression stroke and checked the
valves on #2 again. .006 on both. No clue why it's 20psi below the
other 3.

Put the valve covers back on again.

Installed and gapped the new points.

Hit the starter to make sure they were set right.

Zoom Zoom. Steady idle. No backfire or stuttering. Good throttle
response (as good as it gets with a 009). Clipped on the strobe.
Loosened the dizzy. Made an educated guess where 27ATDC was located.
Revved it up and set it there.

Better throttle response. Better sounding. Static is back around 10BTDC
where it should be. I bought a protractor and paint pen so I can get a
little more accurate later.

So, EVERYBODY was right. It was a timing/ignition problem. It was also
a carb problem that made the timing/ignition problem *MUCH* worse than
it should have been. The old points are pitted but not severely enough
to cause the major backfiring and loss of power that I experienced.
Lightly pitted points in conjunction with a mild intake leak beat me to
death though.

I'll get my pulley marks painted and swap in the new carb when it
arrives. Hopefully Monday.

I really need to sit down and solder the CDI together to stop future
point pitting.

G2

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 00:15:26 -0500
Gerald Livingston <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wouldn't happen to have a known good single port carb I could borrow a
few days to verify that would you? If a known good carb solves the
problem I'll order a replacement Monday and return yours at T@P. I'll
pay for USPS express shipping so it can be here Saturday if it's
mailed out Friday.

I went ahead and replaced the points with a new set that has weld
bonded full face contacts as opposed to the previous set that had one
contact with a hole all the way through the center as a rivet point.

My hands are cramping up now so the guy that helps me turn wrenches is
going to come over in the morning so we can close it all back up.
While we have the plugs out I'm going to verify the TDC mark using a
pencil in #1 cylinder and recheck the valve lash on #2 to make sure I
don't have the exhaust opening to early.

Gerald