[suncommunity] Re: Blade 100 and serial console ?

  • From: Dominique Petitpierre <Dominique.Petitpierre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 15:07:07 +0200 (MEST)

On  1-May-03 at 19:55, Sean O'Neill (sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> But my attempts at making the console come up on the serial port have been
> a complete failure.  I have three headless U5s and a headless SS20 so I'm
> very familiar with at least DB25 serial ports on Suns - well older Suns
> anyway.
>
> My config is:
>
> COM port setting on laptop at 9600 8-N-1 noflow

Things to try (in no particular order):

- Don't go through a switch box or adapters: use a single direct
  NULL modem DB9 cable.

- Try changing the speed (e.g. 19200), in case the previous owner
  changed that.

- Use a serial communication tester (little straight through box
  with two DB25 connectors and with two LEDs, green and red,
  for each RS232 signal) to see which signals do occur.

- Check if Carrier Detect is provided on both side (normally
  not enabled but again the previous owner might have changed that.

- Use the STOP-N equivalent procedure described in
  http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3416-10/chap10.htm#1004263.
  This will reset serial communication parameters to default values
  in case they have been changed.
  (this probably will not work if the boot PROM is protected by a
  password).

- Connect with a DB9 NULL modem cable the
  serial port of the Sun Blade100 to the Ultra 5 Serial B (ttyb).
  Chack that login on ttyb is disabled, and try "tip hardwire"
  on the U5 (cf /etc/remote). "tip" should connect (it won't
  if there is a problem with Carrier Detect) and
  you should see the boot PROM banner when booting the Blade 100.

- Consult *the* Unix serial connection reference site for more
  info on RS232 communication and understanding how the RS232
  signals work:
  http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/index.html

- Determine the connection diagram of your serial cabling (which output
  signal is connected to which input signals), end to end,
  with a simple contact tester, for the Blade 100 and for the Ultra 5:
  The diagrams should be equivalent! (cf.
  http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3416-10/appdB.htm#4867 ,
  http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/805-7763-12/6j7a690v8?a=view )

Good luck! If you find out, tell us what was the problem.

Best regards,

Dominique
--
* Unsolicited commercial email is NOT welcome at this address. *
Mr Dominique Petitpierre       Email: User@Domain