[SI-LIST] Re: min/max trace length

  • From: "Benny Yan" <zyan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bernd schuster'" <bernd.schuster12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:41:10 +0800

Bernd,
  Setup and hold margin are the results from the layout length, output delay
and input setup and hold time requirements.
I think that you mean a source synchronous interface. In this case, the
absolute trace lengths are not the main constraint.
The setup margin 2ns and hold margin 0.8ns gives you a chance to tune the
length matching between clock and data traces.
Of course, if you mean a synchronous interface, you may need a simulation and
timing calculation to determine the trace lengths.
Or simply, you may use 1ns per 6inch to do a rough estimation, but don't forget
to reserve enough margin.

Benny Yan
www.iometh.com