[SI-LIST] Re: decoupling

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:24:49 -0700 (PDT)

Mark-

I'm sure Ken will reply, but since I'm familiar with what's going on
I'll respond for now:

1)      the .02 in the equation in Ken's message stems from the fact
        that he is deriving a Target Impedance based on a 2% variation
        in voltage. It could have just as well been 5%. The percentage
        of allowable ripple is determined by the designer based on
        how much noise he/she thinks the circuit can tolerate.

2)      Not sure if Ken really means di/dt or not. In the equation
        published in our paper we mean (delta I) for the current
        and don't assign any time dependency to it. (Ken can you
        comment?)

2)      A similar equation was first widely published in a paper in the
        IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging August, 1999
        pp 284-291 entitled "Power Distribution System Design
        Methodology and Capacitor Selection for Modern CMOS
        Technology" by L. Smith, R. Anderson, D. Forehand,
        T. Pelc, and T. Roy.
        (paper downloadable at:
        http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si_documents/decap_whitepaper.pdf )

3)      The equation is based on good old Ohm's law (R=E/I)

                  (Vdd * % ripple)
      Ztarget =  ----------------
                  dynamic current

        For example:

        suppose your system runs on 1.8 volts DC and can tolerate 2% ripple
        The maximum dynamic current swing is from 15 to 20 amps

        then:       (1.8 * .02)      36 mV
                     (20 - 15)         5 amps

        The equation (at least the one published in our paper
in 1999) assumed a constant target Z from DC to daylight. Our
view on that has changed since the original publication, but that
is a different conversation....

-Ray