[SI-LIST] Re: capacitor impedance in time domain

  • From: Peter Fekete <thefekete@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:54:07 -0800 (PST)

Thank you Ed,

I was sure it is a textbook problem or something like that. In fact, a
simplified version of the situation is described in Hall, Hall and McCall
?High-speed Digital System Design? pages 30-31 and the same simplified case is
solved via Laplace transforms in B. Young ?Digital Signal Integrity? page 83.

I thought that this is an idealized situation without too many practical
applications, but apparently it is a starting point for certain interesting
applications like the characterization of capacitors etc.

Peter

"Dr. Edward P. Sayre" <esayre@xxxxxxxx> wrote:Dear SI Professionals:

Hats off to Peter for his excellent derivation. There is much more
information available from Tektronix when they introduced their early TDR's
and Agilent (way back when they were H-P Instrumentation Division)
regarding reflection from discrete elements. It is possible, and in fact
one of the more powerful ways to determine and characterize capacitors and
inductors to look at this problem in the time domain.

The risetime performance of the transmitted pulse is a function of both the
risetime as well as the natural time constant of the shunt or series
discrete element. One can show that for time constants on the order of the
risetime, the effect of a shunt capacitor is to delay the pulse by a
ristime which is equivalent to slowing the risetime down equivalently. The
time constant is on the order of 0.5*Zo*Cshunt. For realistic numbers such
as those encountered in a via (say 1pF), the delay is on the order of 25
pSec. For larger capacitance such as that encountered in a memory system,
the delay approximation breaks down and the problem is a full blown
transient solution directly amenable by LaPlace transform methods. In this
case, the charging of the capacitance which is the time constant portion of
the solution dominates the problem.

There is much theory around for time solutions which give far more insight
into the effects of bypass capacitance as well as via capacitance then can
be seen in the frequency domain. Again - hats off to Peter.

ed sayre

At 05:08 PM 1/28/2005 -0800, Peter Fekete wrote:
>Dear group_delay, Arpad, ?
>
>When I answered to this topic three days ago I thought that I explained
>enough in my message but apparently not.
>
>Let?s start specifying that any voltage (and current) distribution on a
>transmission line can be decomposed in two waves. One is the progressive
>(from source to load) and the other is regressive.
>
>Anywhere on the line the actual voltages and currents are superpositions
>of these, more exactly: V=V(+) + V(-) and I = I(+) - I(-); the voltages
>add and the currents are substracted
>
>For both waves the relationship between voltage and current is the well
>known V(+)=Zc* I(+) and V(-)=Zc *I(-)
>
>The way the problem is formulated (by the way, it looks like a homework
>problem) implies that we have the progressive wave V(+) defined as
>trapezoidal and we want the reflected wave ie V(-)
>

>An important detail is that the source is connected to a 50 ohm resistor
>and then to the line. Assuming the line has a 50 ohm characteristic
>impedance and the source is perfect results that the V(-) wave returning
>to the source sees a perfectly terminated line and will not give any more
>reflections.
>
>This simplifies things and also the 50 ohm resistor and 50 ohm line will
>result in half of the source voltage actually going on the line (as
>group_delay noticed).
>

>To solve the problem in time domain we don?t need to use the concept of
>impedance, although if you like you can talk about it.
>
>At the capacitor we have I=C dV/dt
>
>Note that these V and I are not the trapezoidal ones, but they are as
>mentioned V=V(+) + V(-) and I = I(+) - I(-) and only V(+) and I(+) are
>trapezoidal.
>
>This equation gives
>
>V(+)/Zc - V(-)/Zc = C ( dV(+)/dt + dV(-)/dt )
>
>V(+) is known so I?ll group the terms:
>

>dV(-)/dt + V(-)/CZc= dV(+)/dt &shy;V(+)/CZc
>

>the term C*Zc is the ?RC constant? mentioned in some messages = tau
>

>so the equation for the unknown V(-) is:
>

>dV(-)/dt + V(-)/tau = dV(+)/dt &shy; V(+)/tau
>

>I solved this equation quickly for rectangular pulse V(+) and it took a
>while for the trapezoidal pulse but it is doable.
>

>For a rectangular pulse (rise time=0) V(-)=[1-2exp(-t/tau)]*0.5 for
>t=(0 to T) ( time origin shifted to when the pulse arrives at the
>capacitor) and V(-)= [1-exp(-T/tau)]*exp[-(t-T)/tau] for t= T to infinity
>
>Note that this gives you V(-)= - 0.5 for t=0 ie exactly the dip that takes
>the V(+)=0.5 V down to zero as group_delay noticed for zero rise time
>

>For a trapezoidal pulse it is much uglier
>
>V(-)= 0.5/tr * (t-2tau)+tau/tr * exp(-t/tau) for the up ramp t= 0 to tr
>
>And so on ?
>

>The voltage at the end of the rise time is
>
>0.5- tau/tr[1-exp(-tr/tau)]
>
>if you take the limit for tr ->0 you?ll find the previous result &shy;0.5
>
>however for tr different from zero it is > -0.5 and does not cancel
>completely the 0.5 of the V(+) , again as noticed by group_delay

> [...]

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
| NORTH EAST SYSTEMS ASSOCIATES, INC. |
| ------------------------------------- |
| "High Performance Engineering & Design" |
| Dr. Ed Sayre e-mail: esayre@xxxxxxxx|
| NESA, Inc. http://www.nesa.com/ |
| 235 Littleton Road, Ste 2 Tel +1.978.392-8787 |
| Westford, MA 01886 Fax +1.978.392-8686 |

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: