[SI-LIST] Re: Tool Recommendations?

  • From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twester@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:33:52 -0400

Doug,

The simulation engine in SPECCTRAQuest (tlsim) is essentially a SPICE
simulator without the transistor elements.  Instead of the transistor
element, it implements a "Behavioral Driver" that consumes the V/I and V/T
data in IBIS 2.1 buffer models to predict an I/O's behavior.

Because the engine is SPICE-based, it has many of the same subcircuit
modeling capabilities as any other SPICE.  Many of the IBIS 3.X and later
features are implemented as macro models using pre-defined templates for
subcircuits that are included and customized for the specific IBIS model.

The most common question people ask is - "I have an HSpice model for XYZ,
can I use it directly in SPECCTRAQuest (or any other tool, for that matter)
without converting it into some other form?" - and the answer is almost
always "no".

The reason is simple.  The semiconductor vendor creates and validates their
model in HSpice, and that is the only set of conditions under which they
warrant its behavior.  Even if you *could* directly read the model into
another tool (highly dubious, because HSpice models are usually (a)
encrypted and (b) use transistor elements unique to HSpice), you can bet the
semiconductor vendor wouldn't be willing to support the model after it had
been brought into another simulator. It's just too much extra work for them.

There are utilities that allow you to export SPICE and HSpice circuits from
SI tools like SPECCTRAQuest.  That's the best way to use a HSpice model
directly.  The usual flow is to (a) convert HSpice models into IBIS or
another behavioral form, (b) do up-front work using a behavioral simulator,
and then (c) do final circuit simulations, if required, using HSpice on a
circuit that is either generated directly by board level tools, or based on
simulations done using board level tools.

Hope that helps,

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
SI Engineer