[SI-LIST] Re: Tool Recommendations?

  • From: Donald Telian <donaldt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: doug.hopperstad@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:29:06 -0700

Doug,

SPECCTRAQuest (SQ) analysis is performed by a proprietary spice-based
engine.  As such SQ automatically field solves and extracts spice files
from PCB layouts, including multiboard/coupled configurations.  SQ users
can find these files in the simulation subdirectories created by the tool.
Many spice models can be used within SQ, but what the instructor must have
been referring to was transistor-level models (M elements) which are
currently not supported.  If you need to use transistor models a utility
called "spc2spc" is provided with SQ to help you convert the extracted PCB
files for use in other spice tools. Or, you or your vendor can convert the
transistor models to one of the formats supported by SQ.

At present, the world thinks in terms of "PCB" tools and "IC" tools.  Those
working on the border between the two wind up either a) converting IC
models for use in PCB tools, or b) converting  PCB models for use in IC
tools.  SQ strives to provide help with either process.

Donald T.
CADENCE

At 09:27 AM 7/26/01 -0500, Doug Hopperstad wrote:

>Javin,
>I thought that Specctraquest was an IBIS simulator. When I took the training
>course I asked about Spice models and the instructor (cadence) said that the
>simulator does not support spice model files. Can you clarify your comment
>about the took being a Spice based simulator, thanks.
>
>Doug Hopperstad
>Qlogic
>6321 Bury Drive
>Eden Prairie, MN