[SI-LIST] Re: Power plane coupling

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx, ludovic.levieil@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:10:25 -0400

Zhangkun, Ludovic,

Yes, the vertical coupling between power planes one
above the other at high frequencies is strong. If,
however, the coupled rails are designed to be resonance
free, and they have similar characteristics (impedance,
allowed noise, bandwidth), the coupling does not create
special problems.

As Larry pointed out, a nice feature about the stackup
in question is that the power planes are sandwiched
between grounds, so radiation from the noisy power
plane is less of an issue,and signal traces all
reference ground planes. This building block takes
four layers though, and therefore very seldom can we
afford to have two of these; one close to each surface
of the board; it usually ends up in the middle of the
stackup. If that is the case, be prepared to live with
the increased via inductance connecting the planes to
the surface.

As Zhangkun pointed out, one way to decrease the vertical
coupling is to increase the relative separation between
the two power planes. This can be done by either increasing
the absolute separation vertically between the two power
planes, or reducing the separation between the power
planes and ground planes, or a combination of both.
Increasing the absolute separation between the power planes
is practically free within the maximum board thickness limit
you have on hand. Reducing the power-ground plane separation
to less than 4 mils is also doable; down to about 3 mils is
practically free. Thinner laminates down to 1 mil and 0.5 mil
thicknesses are now also commercially available. Playing with
the vertical separation has its limits. If, say, we assume a
maximum vertical separation between the power planes to be 50
mils and a 0.5 mil power-ground separation, the resulting
capacitive divider at high frequencies results in an about
100:1 noise separation. Even in this extreme case this would
be barely enough to isolate a sensitive analog puddle from a
very noisy logic rail (in this case we assume that the very
noisy logic rail in itself would be OK). In such cases a
better solution is to move the very different supply rails
away from each other horizontally so that vertical coupling
does not occur, or move the sensitive rail (hopefully small
in size) to another (say signal) layer.

Regards,
Istvan

Zhangkun wrote:

>Dear Ludovic
>
>I have made a similar PCB of your stackup. The noise coupling between VCC1 and
>VCC2 is serious. I suggest that the seperation between VCC1 and VCC2 to be
>large.
>
>Best Regards
>
>Zhangkun
>2005.10.24