[SI-LIST] Re: Power plane coupling

  • From: "Mcgrath, Christopher" <christopher.mcgrath@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <LSMITH@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ludovic.levieil@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:32:12 -0700

Larry,

I have a related question that popped into my head when I read your
response.

If you expand this example so that there were a number of layers between
VCC1 and VCC2 which included both ground and signal layers so that the
thickness of the board begins to become significant with respect to the
placement of decoupling capacitors, is the preferred location for
decoupling of a device placed on the top side of the PCB on the top side
or bottom side of the board IF the voltage being decoupled is VCC2.

At issue is whether it is better to place the decoupling capacitor
closer to the voltage it is decoupling or closer to the device that is
actually receiving the power.

I believe that the path with the least inductance and maximum
effectiveness would be to place the decoupling capacitor on the top side
of the board right next to the device.  While the spreading inductance
should be very similar in both cases, the loop inductance would be
slightly less when the cap is placed on the top of the board. =20

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

=20