[SI-LIST] Re: [OT] Offshore engineering

  • From: "Fasig, Jonathan L." <fasig.jonathan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:09:15 -0600

Presumably the lure of offshore labor is lower cost.  I saw a quote recently
that addresses this topic.

"It is unwise to pay too much.  But, it is worse to pay too little.  When
you pay too much, you loose a little money that is all.  Whey you pay too
little, you sometimes loose everything, because the thing you bought is not
capable of doing the thing you bought it to do.  The common law of business
prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it cannot be done.  If you
deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you
run and, if you do that, you will have enough money to pay for something
better." (1)

Regarding the question of employing offshore engineering labor, the risks
one must bear include whether offshore courts will enforce your patent and
intellectual property rights, and what happens to the experience and skill
sets you fostered after your design project is done.  If one considers the
risks and unintended consequences then the lure of lower cost may be
mitigated.

Regards,
jf

(1) "Right the First Time" by Lee W. Ritchey, page 15, copyright 2003 by
Speeding Edge.

Jonathan Fasig                      Email:  fasig.jonathan@xxxxxxxx
Mayo Foundation
4001 41st Street NW
MSC Sn 2-132                        Phone:  (507) 538-5464
Rochester, MN 55901                 Fax:    (507) 284-9171