[SI-LIST] Re: [OT] Offshore engineering

  • From: jim freeman <kacief@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsefton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:34:16 -0800

Hi Robert,
    If it was a truly free market, The U.S.would clean the world's clocks.
However, we are in a system that claims to have a free market but is
anything but. The People's Republic of China is holding down the price of
the Yuan so that their imports are cheap. The copyright and patent laws that
we have in the U.S. mean nothing in the rest of the world so the fostering
of innovation is not done. The U.S. is providing a security blanket for the
rest of the world through our defense spending which takes away from our
ability to innovate internally. Japan and Taiwan have particularly
benefitted from this arrangement. The U.S. gets no compensation for these
benefits that it provides the rest of the world.
    There have been attempts to compare "PAX AMERICANA" with "PAX BRITANNIA"
that occurred during the reign of Queen Victoria. There is in fact no
comparison. TheBritish colonies were raped by the British government for
goods and services and cheap labor with all of the profits going to the
Crown. The Crown then distributed the booty to all of the Nobles (of which
there were many) and these Nobles spent the money in the local communities
to keep them in jobs. The English education system was populated by the
Nobles and English commoners who were selected at an early age because of
their brains. There were few foreign nationals in the British system at that
time. Instead, they instituted the British system of education in their
colonies.  The whole scheme was to benefit the English. Pax Americana
benefits practically everybody else and not the United States and causes a
huge drain on our treasury and our education system.
    The sad thing about the American engineer is that most have taken
reduced curriculums and really don't have a sense of history. They are then
prey to any group of persons who tout imaginitive and right sounding ideas
but are actually lining their pockets at the same time. Did anybody read
that the ratio between exeutive compensation and the lowest paid worker in
the U.S. was 40 in 1980 an it is now 282. That is the reason that the costs
of engineering in the U.S. is being kept down. Greed at the top. NOT
high-sounding objectives that follow from "The wealth of nations" by Adam
Smith.

Thanks
JimFreeman

Robert Sefton wrote:

> I enthusiastically agree that this is a relevant and very interesting
> topic. I wish more people would chime in because I don't have a good
> feel yet for where the majority stands on it. There was a long thread on
> this same topic on the [pcdlist] several weeks ago, and the PCB layout
> community is downright scared about the offshore trend in that industry.
>
> My opinion: I have almost blind faith in the free market as the ultimate
> equalizer. In the long term the market will decide the most efficient
> model for each phase of product development, and it may be that the most
> efficient model right now is cheap foreign engineers. Could be a painful
> next couple of decades for engineers in the U.S., but I also have almost
> blind faith that the U.S. has the closest thing on this planet to a true
> free market and will always rise to the top eventually. I say let the
> market rule.
>
> Robert

List technical documents are available at:
                http:/www.si-list.org