[SI-LIST] Re: Need advice on basic 6-layer stackup

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GrahamDavies@xxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 12:04:54 -0700

Graham, The fact that your company's "slow"  "1999 era" product doesn't
work, is testament that something in your shop is sorely lacking.  Your
board house has handed you a massively improved and as Dr. Zheng has
verified, a 50 ohm stack-up.  That you still have questions and doubts
should tell you to seek education or qualified help sooner rather than later.

If you are looking for a handbook presentation on SI material you might try
Lee Ritchey's "Right the First Time".  It will at least give you issues to
discuss with this consultant you use and or your boss.  You can obtain his
book only from his web site www.speedingedge.com for $125.00 plus tax and
shipping.  I caution you that a handbook improperly used can be
trouble.  But for the kind of design that you describe, you are likely to
find a number of useful topics in Lee's book, and you can certainly look
further for more information.

If you want to understand the subject matter in more depth, I would go with
either Dr. Bogatin's "Signal Integrity Simplified" or Dr. Johnson's  "High
Speed Digital Design".  Tom Granberg's book "Handbook of Digital Techniques
for High-Speed Digital Design..." provides an excellent survey of recent
and current signaling technologies.

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: