[SI-LIST] Re: Need advice on basic 6-layer stackup

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GrahamDavies@xxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:13:54 -0700

Graham, I suggest that it is probably a good time for you to search through
the wealth of information on the WWW, as well as purchase at least one or
two books on signal integrity.  There are many good titles out there.  As
to your specific concerns on series terminations and busses, your concern
is valid for timing strobes like clocks.  For bussed data, series
termination works very well over a broad range of applications.  If you are
the PCB designer, I suggest pushing back on the design engineers to do
their signal integrity homework.  If no one in your shop has the
experience, find a colleague, or hire a consultant.  If the design is
simple and low-tech, it won't cost a lot to have a competent consultant put
you on track.

Since you are running slow busses, you should have a lot of leeway with
timing.  Consider that PCI has been fantastically successful with much less
than pretty signaling.  A timing budget that includes the effects of cross
talk needs to be built.  You may find that you have gross margins that let
you get away with murder.  But you will not KNOW until someone DOES THE
HOMEWORK.

For your example of a 10 inch trace if the rise time is 10ns or less, ( and
it is a very safe bet that it is ), you have a transmission line, and
failing to model that trace as a transmission line will give you the wrong
answer.

I strongly disagree with SPS SGS as a signaling improvement.  It does
address warpage.  Can you make it work?  DO THE HOMEWORK.  But consider it
against what is really SGS SGS, where L3 S is gridded power.  This uniform
stack up doesn't warp either.  The bottom three layers of both stack ups
are identical.

So what are the differences:

1) Less Cu for power, resulting in higher DC loss as gridded on L3 in SGS
SGS, than the solid plane in SPS SGS.
2) Much lower inductance for power in SGS SGS.  Assume 50% fill density,
this is equivalent to solid planes separated by 7 mils, whereas SPS SGS
would be separated by about 52 mils a > 7:1 difference.  You would have to
drop to a ridiculous 4 mil lines on a 50 mil grid to end up with as high a
power spreading inductance in SGS SGS as SPS SGS.
3) Trivial return path management in SGS SGS that allows very simple
autorouter rules.  SPS SGS requires more care

I would ask the person promoting SPS SGS to explain to you what they
believe it buys you.

Steve

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: