From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Lee Ritchey
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 6:56 AM
To: Mike Brown; GrahamDavies@xxxxxxxx
Cc: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Need advice on basic 6-layer stackup

50 ohms comes from the RF world.  When manufacturing coaxial cable, this
impedance resulted in the optimum dimensions for both cable manufacture
and
connector manufacture.  Since instrumentation was developed around this
impedance, the rest of us have adopted it.  It turns out that 50 ohms is
about the optimum impedance for manufacturing high layer count PCBs, as
well.  Just a coincidence.

The drivers didn't determine the impedance of transmission lines, it is
the
other way around.=20

Lee W. Ritchey
Speeding Edge
P. O. Box 2194
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
Phone- 707-568-3983
FAX-    707-568-3504

I just used the energy it took to be angry to write some blues.
Count Basie

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org