[SI-LIST] Re: DDR SDRAM signal routing

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tom Biggs" <tbiggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:23:41 -0800

Hi Folks,

As frequency bins move upward you find new sources of SI issues even in
legacy DDR2/3 topologies. This along with subtle changes in buffer
designs and SDRAM module design require extensive frequency domain and
time domain simulations be done for every new DDR2/3 generation.
Fortunately, the mainstream memory controller vendors do all of this for
the end users and provide guidelines which if followed allow the
associated platform designs to be launched successfully without
simulation.  A lot of analysis also goes into the JEDEC raw card
specifications to ensure the resident portion of the topologies are
optimized. So in most cases the end user does not need to simulate. Just
follow the guidelines.=20

Intel provides such guidelines and only recommends simulation when the
design deviates from our assumptions in terms of platform stackup, bus
lengths, and/or routing geometries. We try to provide a guaranteed
solution space which is adequate to allow our customers to build their
full line of boxes and get to market without extensive amounts of
simulation. Of course most big system houses have simulation resources
and expertise, but its not necessarily required unless the design is
unique in some way. Where simulation is needed is for people doing
non-standard applications using non-PC form factors and/or memory down
on the motherboard, etc... Another can of worms applies to folks using
dual stripline stackups where layer to layer coupling is not zero, or
where pure orthogonal routing rules can generate higher than expected
via counts. In these cases auxiliary simulation should be performed. =20

Brian P. Moran=20
Calistoga SIE Kit Leader=20
Intel Corporation=20
brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx=20