[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: futurity judging requirements

  • From: <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:09:27 -0400

Our club sent our list in and fortunately we got our first choice judge,
which by the way is no longer judging and hasn't judged for quite
awhile..........however the rest of our list was sent contracts and a couple
never filled them out and sent them in even after i contacted them. I think
once they saw the contract and realized the almost impossible requirements
they didn't want to return the contract,,,,,,we had some great choices on
there. We had one breeder who declined because he had judged a futurity
before but with whatever changes were made they called him ineligible to
judge right from the get go.....................this left us with no
alternate.
Therefore if there are any breeders out there that know they are eligible
please contact me to be an alternate for the SE.
In the mean time i will be trying to find and contact alternates. I have
tried very hard not to get AKC judges, but it's almost impossible with the
requirements.
Laurie is right it's impossible to get matches.......i flew myself to
arizona to do a sweeps........it gets a bit costly.

<The clubs do ask the judges, and they ask breeders who have to say "no"
> because
> they are not eligible.  This year I was asked by two futuriy clubs and
> last
> year I was asked by two futurity clubs if I would allow my name to be
> considered by their club to judge their futurity.  I had to tell all of
> them
> that I was not eligible, even though I have:
>
> Finished 11 champions, mostly homebred with 4 more nearing their champion
> titles
>
> Been in the breed since 1978
>
> Judged 3 specialty matches (that is all the AKC requires of it's judging
> applicants)
>
> Judged many all-breed matches - usually the entire herding group -
> including the
> large Rau superintended match in PA where I had over 100 entries
>
> Judged puppy sweeps at a specialty-supported all-breed show - large rings,
> specialty judges - but that doesn't count either.  It would count if the
> shows
> had been stand-alone specialties
>
> We do make it too difficult for breeders to judge a futurity, in my
> opinion.  It
> is VERY difficult nowadays to judge 6 specialty matches.  I've traveled,
> at my
> own expense, to PA and upstate NY to get two of my specialty matches.
> Local
> clubs often don't want local judges - for two reasons - they lose entries
> because the judge can't show his/her own animals and they assume a local
> bias
> exists. Not many clubs do regular matches anymore, either.
>
> So, I don't think that clubs necessarily want to choose licensed judges
> for
> their futurities, but I do think they they find that many successful
> breeders
> are not eligible to judge a futurity.
>
> Laurie Pruett
Amy Safdir