[ SHOWGSD-L ] futurity judging requirements

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:20:08 +0000

Would you really want someone out there judging your futurity entries who
> has
> had no or very little ring experience??  Actually there are several people
> who have never judged a futurity on the list this year (or not very
> recently
> anyway).
>
> Tish
>
> BTW - I do not select the judges, nor does the Board.  The regional clubs
> sends in a list of judges and the Board approves out of those who sign the
> agreements.  Only one club did not get their first choice this year
> because that
> person declined.

The clubs do ask the judges, and they ask breeders who have to say "no" because
they are not eligible.  This year I was asked by two futuriy clubs and last
year I was asked by two futurity clubs if I would allow my name to be
considered by their club to judge their futurity.  I had to tell all of them
that I was not eligible, even though I have:

Finished 11 champions, mostly homebred with 4 more nearing their champion titles

Been in the breed since 1978

Judged 3 specialty matches (that is all the AKC requires of it's judging
applicants)

Judged many all-breed matches - usually the entire herding group - including the
large Rau superintended match in PA where I had over 100 entries

Judged puppy sweeps at a specialty-supported all-breed show - large rings,
specialty judges - but that doesn't count either.  It would count if the shows
had been stand-alone specialties

We do make it too difficult for breeders to judge a futurity, in my opinion.  It
is VERY difficult nowadays to judge 6 specialty matches.  I've traveled, at my
own expense, to PA and upstate NY to get two of my specialty matches.  Local
clubs often don't want local judges - for two reasons - they lose entries
because the judge can't show his/her own animals and they assume a local bias
exists. Not many clubs do regular matches anymore, either.

So, I don't think that clubs necessarily want to choose licensed judges for
their futurities, but I do think they they find that many successful breeders
are not eligible to judge a futurity.

Laurie Pruett