[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New answer. judges & future judges

  • From: zilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:15:47 -0500

At 08:00 PM 8/9/05 -0400, ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:
>No.  I do not agree with this premise at all. The judge is empowered  by the
>AKC to decide which dog comes closet to the standard as set forth by the
>parent club of that breed. It is presumptive to say we as judges should be
>dictating who or what to do with breeding

Dog shows were originally intended to be used as an evaluation of breeding
stock.  Today dog shows are much more, or less perhaps, but the evaluation
of the conformation of a dog (and winning) is still a big part of how a dog
is known, advertised and ultimately used - tell me a Select, Maturity
Victor, Best in Show or whatever doesn't up the ante  ;-).  The judge
evaluating conformation is not required to do anything more on that day,
but a number of respected judges who consistently offer up the wins on a
dog contribute to the dog's breeding future.  I think most people base
their breeding plans on more than just a show record, but that show record
is pretty important to some.

JMO
Jill
Canada