[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New Question. judges & future judges

  • From: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx
  • To: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:03:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/05 5:01:25 PM Central Daylight Time,  EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
writes:

First do we agree dog shows are a place to evaluate breeding  stock. The
judge
is saying with his/her top placings these are the dogs  that in my opinion
should be used for breeding. With this in mind. you  have a class of more
than 4
animals in that class you have at least 4  top quality animals one of which
is a
showing fool never puts a foot  down wrong. But there is one that is
obviously
superior in structure but  is an uninspired show dog in fact the only time
you
can evaluate it's  gait is when it is heading for the exit.   WHO WINS and
why.
Fred Migliore

Fred,
I have never believed I was there to evalualte breeding stock.  But  possibly
my top winners would dictate me doing just that.  Often times,  especially if
there are four of top quality, I will say to myself, "Who would  I take
home?"   The choice then becomes very clear (usually)!

Answering your question though is very difficult for anyone,  as there are no
real dogs in question.  If one of these quality animals  was a "stick in the
mud", he would probably loose, given the "showman" had  everything else I look
for.  Attitude is very special to a Show  Dog.  On the other hand Attitude is
not everything.  Mr "Showman"  would have to be the total package, not just
attitude.

Randy