[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: CHIC

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx, texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 07:36:43 -0500 (EST)

Good answer Kay although I must say I was disappointed w/ the OFA cardiac
test and if one were to be honest, the thyroid test should probably be done
every year to mean anything.  (I just did a 10 1/2 year old, his skin was
getting dry, came back fine, naturally didn't bother to send it in).

The reason I was disappointed w/ the whole cardiac thing? I learned
(through a lister, but it's actually true) that a dog w/ a murmur can still get

(cardiac) certified.  Scratching my head wondering what's the  point????

I'd know at 6 weeks if a puppy had a problem.  I don't know any  serious
breeder who would keep let alone breed a dog w/ a heart issue. The last  time
I had a dog at the vet I had the vet sign their cert, verify their chip  #
and sent it along to OFA w/ $15.  I guess I'll start doing that, but  again,
for ME, pretty worthless.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 12/10/2011 11:01:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx writes:

> 1)Do you think the time has come to change the CHIC  requirements to
> include additional tests like cardiac and  thyroid and, particularly,
> DM?
As I have previously stated,  I was extremely disappointed when  the
CHIC requirements were  lowered and the tests for heart and thyroid
were removed.  It  made absolutely no sense to lower requirements just
to get the  numbers up.  How is that helping the health of the breed?
I sincerely think that the new officers and board need to revisit  this
and bring the requirements back to what they were  before.

As far as adding requirements for DM and Mega, I think this  needs to
be studied only for the fact that there is some concern by  many that
the DM test is not as good as it should be.  I don't  know if this is
true or not.  Since it is the only test we have  I certainly think all
breeding dogs need to have this test done and  the results made
public.  I have tested my dogs for DM for  years starting with the
University of Florida test many years ago  and recently using the OFA
test. I understand there is work being  done to develop a test for
Mega.  If this does prove to   be something that can be genetically
determined and the test is  conclusive, I think then it should be add
to the  CHIC.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Multi BISS  & Multi Group Winning
Ch. Rohan's Reward TC,CGC,HT,RE,CDX, CHIC  (h,e,h,t)  DM Clear
"Strider" 80 BOBs  #5 & #6 GSD  2009

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.