[SAS] Re: Interesting documentary

  • From: "Paul" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "pasha582@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:49:09 -0800

I have to disagree with Mr. Wiseman on whether "The Principle" is controversial
or not.  It isn't controversial at all.  You don't get to claim something is
controversial just because a bunch of folks with no understanding of basic
science insist something is wrong.

This movie is on par with "Expelled:  No Intelligence Allowed."  Is there
controversy among astronomers regarding heliocentrism?  No.  The heliocentric
model is far less controversial than the acceptance among climate scientists
that increasing carbon dioxide is primarily responsible for global warming
(97%).

Galileo Galilei laid this matter to rest with his publication of "Dialogue
Concerning the Two Chief World Systems," (which I can loan to anyone who would
like to read it--English version--not the original Italian) 382 years ago.  To
promote geocentrism over heliocentrism is to rescind Newton's theory of
gravity, which has served us all so well these past three hundred years.

Here is a Scientific American article on "the Axis of Evil" mentioned in the
YouTube video (radio program) to which Alan linked.  I find no evidence this
axis is aligned towards our local group, much less us--if it were we would have
a lot more trouble seeing it just as we have trouble discerning the shape of
the Milky Way because we are in it.  I confess I could not sit through the
entire program.  Maybe he wasn't actually defending geocentrism, and maybe
there was some better point further along--strong anthropic principle, anyone?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/universal-alignment/

I really liked the Slate take on this "controversy" written by the "bad
astronomy" guy Phil Plait.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/04/08/the_principle_a_documentary_about_geocentrism.html

In other news we'll all be floating (again) come January 4th, the "zero
gravity" day (due to the alignment of Jupiter and the all-powerful Pluto).

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/12/24/zero_g_day_nope.html

Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

 Subject: [SAS] Interesting documentary
 To: sas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 3:16 PM

 So a new cosmology
 documentary "The Principle" that's played in
 one theater in Chicago already has a smallish following here
 in Spokane/Post Falls.  I know of a number of people who
 are trying to bring it to AMC in Spokane on the 23rd of
 January (First potential showing).  Further details to
 follow if anyone shows interest.  http://www.theprinciplemovie.com/
 It is very controversial and I, personally, am
 very interested in seeing it myself.  I was wondering if
 anyone would like to "claim" a ticket.
 They're about $10 (give or take a bit) if enough
 tickets are sold.  Otherwise, no money will change
 hands.
 I thought I'd let the list know to see if
 anyone else would be interested.  The theater needs to see
 that 500 tickets have been sold in order for the movie to
 air.  I think close to 400 have been accounted
 for.
 The only thing I'm getting out of this is the
 ability to see the movie, I'm not trying to sell
 anything for personal gain, it's entirely non-profit and
 for the love of the science behind what we do as amateurs.

 I'd also not like to get in a huge debate on
 the list about the content, if you want to talk about it I
 think we should keep them, should they follow, on a personal
 e-mail basis, I don't think that would be proper to talk
 about controversial science on a stargazing
 list.
 So let me know if your interested or want more
 information.  Again, I'd only like to see it and we
 need more tickets sold to be able to.  Check it out, let me
 know,  Also I hope I'm not overstepping the list here,
 if I am I'll be more than happy to not talk about it
 again
 -Thanks!Nick W.