[sac-board] Re: SAC Budget 2002

  • From: "Peggy Kain" <pegsi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 23:49:13 -0700

Jack Jones stated:

  . . . the telescope parts do not 'go to the grants'. They are mostly club
assets.

Telescope parts from the Holmquist collection and the Discovery Store DO go
to the grants and scholarships fund. These collections were acquired on the
basis of providing scholarships from the sale of optics, hardware, and
telescopes.  Telescopes were to be constructed from available parts and used
at star parties or sold with the proceeds used for scholarships.   I inform
the Holmquist family on a regular basis as to the disposition of the parts.
I am in the process of preparing an updated report for  the Holmquist
family.  All but item of the Discovery Store donation has been sold and the
funds are available for scholarships.

All donations to the club should be inventoried immediately upon receipt of
the goods and a copy of the inventory should be made available to all
members.  The Schwarr collection needs to be in a written inventory form in
the same manner as the Holmquist collection.   The disposition of the
Schwarr collection as club assets or as part of the scholarships and grants
fund has yet to be determined.

As soon as I complete my audit of the SAC treasury, I want to provide
guidelines for the scholarships and grants fund.  This action will provide a
set of parameters for future donations disposition of the assets and for
investment and general dispersement of funds.  In addition, guidelines will
be needed for recruitment and selection of  scholarship candidates. Ideas in
this regard would be greatly appreciated.

We need to think in terms of encouraging future astronomers,
astrophysicists, aerospace engineers and related fields into the
astronomical community.

Thanks and enjoy the weekend at Sentinel.

Peggy Kain, Chairman
Scholarships and Grants Fund