[sac-board] Re: Newsletter

  • From: Peter Argenziano <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:16:50 -0700

Just to clarify, Steve... the club isn't generating revenue from the
distribution of mailed newsletters, rather it
represents a net expense.
A bargain-rate quick printing establishment would charge about $2 per issue to
print the newsletter. So, if we only do
11 issues annually (no December issue, as has been the history) - that comes to
$22 in printing costs. Postage varies
between 42¢ and 60¢ per issue, which comes to $4.62 to $6.60 annually. So, for
each recipient of a mailed newsletter,
the newsletter-only member pays $14, while it costs the club between $26.62 and
$28.60. I'm not sure that is a
sustainable subsidy.

Granted, I have been able to get them printed at no expense to the club in the
past... I'm just not sure I want to
continue this (or even encourage it). That's why my vote would be for those
members wanting a printed copy mailed to
them - they should pay the actual cost.

The prices cited above are for printing in black on 75 gsm bond paper. Printing
in color on higher quality paper would
probably quadruple the printing expense.

Peter