[sac-board] Re: Newsletter

  • From: Peter Argenziano <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:18:41 -0700

While I'm not a Board member, I shall, nonetheless, offer up my opinions. They
are free, and worth every penny.
Numbers 1 & 2 seem to be the same. If the current (and all past) issues are
available on the website, they are available
to all - no matter their occupation.
I would encourage the emailing of a link to the newsletter, rather than
emailing a PDF. We should be mindful not only of
the use of our own bandwidth, but also that of the recipients. I'm sure their
respective IT staffs would rather keep
such traffic off of their mail servers.

With regards to number three, does the club really have a responsibility to
provide for those who don't have, or don't
want, internet connectivity? Many libraries offer it for free these days. If
the club decides to continue mailing paper,
the recipient should bear the actual cost, and not have it subsidized by the
club.
For comparison, EVAC charges its members (who elect to receive a mailed
newsletter) a fee of $10 annually. The actual
cost for printing and postage was $23.64 per recipient last year. That means
the club covered almost 60% of the cost.
Not a sustainable activity.

Peter