[sac-board] Re: Herschel II Proposal

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:36:37 -0400

AJ,

So it sounds like SAC should be able to administer its own Herschel II
completion award, and give the individual a plaque, certificate, whatever.  The
only downside is that the recipient will not be recognized as completing the
Herschel II list by the Rose City Astronomers, since SAC is not an AL member.

Short of joining the AL, that sounds like a reasonable approach.

As Paul Lind mentioned, we might want to discuss possible AL membership at a
later date.  Rather than just saying "nay" or "yea" without discussion via the
Board list, it might be healthy to summarize the pros and cons, and let the
Board at large decide.

As for the 1000 New Objects list, I think you are saying that those who
complete the Herschel II should be allowed "overlap" onto the New Objects list,
so they  really only observed as little 600 New Objects.  Going forward, if
we're going to add Herschel II as a SAC-administered observing program, then
1000 New Objects would really mean 1000 objects that are not on Herschel I or
II lists?  Is that summary correct?

Tom