[rollei_list] Re: age old digital vs film debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:20:39 +0000

There is no need to upgrade. I have been using the same camera for years. Personally I had a computer already, incremental cost zero. The only thing I bought was a photo quality printer. Less than top quality enlarger and lenses. Consumables have been less than ciba paper and chemicals. Frank

On 14 Jan 2009, at 16:03, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 10:16 AM 1/14/2009, jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>I have a friend/tax client whose tax returns I have prepared for years
>that "converted" from film to digital. His film and processing costs
>dropped from just over $20k to $400...he wondered why he owed taxes!
>(He refuses to pay quarterly estimates) This is a guy that swore with
>his right hand on the NYT (Holy Scripture in his mind) that he would
>NEVER -EVER go digital...Then his clients required it...

And how much were his conversion costs. How much did he pay for the digital camera? How much for the new computer? How much for the new printer? How much for the fancy inks and spiffy paper? And what about the need to upgrade every six months or so? Film is cheap and film processing is cheap. Digital is EXPENSIVE and really inconvenient.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!