[rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions

  • From: Laurence Segil <ljsegil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:34:55 -0600

How about some off the beaten track lens discussion, specifically, to get
the ball rolling, how have people felt about the venerable Rollei 40/2.8
Sonnar?  I have one in LTM mount, originally sold (this incarnation) with
the Rollei Rangefinder made by Cosina (lens too, I believe). I use my lens
with the  screw adapter for use on M mount rangefinders.  I find it an ideal
lens for the Voigtlander Bessa R3A (mine)  or R3M (mechanical shutter
purists), as the camera has 40mm framelines, a 1:1 magnification viewfinder
which works very well with two eye shooting with the 40mm FL, and a short
rangefinder baseline just long enough to accurately focus lenses up to about
50mm (dicey beyond that FL, I think).  I think the lens produces lovely
images with a classic Sonnar look, not unlike the wonderful Zeiss ZM 50/1.5
Sonnar.  I understand that there is an 80 or 85mm big sister that Rollei
also produced in very small numbers for the same Rollei Rangefinder (Cosina
made) that the 40mm was originally matched for.  I am very interested in
learning more about this longer lens is anyone on the list has knowledge of
or experience with the lens.  I am curious as to list member's experiences
and opinions with this incarnation, as well as earlier versions, of this
classic Rollei lens.
Larry