[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leitz Neverload Kit

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:54:38 -0400

At 05:36 PM 9/30/2009, Peter K. wrote:
Yes I am an engineer. Leica uses this silly comment for their Ms but never comment on the fact that their R bodies use the lesser hinged door. They talk out of both sides of their mount. Another reason I dislike them. I always hated liars. As to the mile high drop test, I do not think that was a test, I think it was a a user who was trying to load film in one and simply decided to jettison the Leica in favor of a more usable and modern camera. I for one am amazed Leica camera is still in business. Their driving force, INERTIA, standing still in the face of progress. But I must admit my little Panasonic has a nice Leica lens on it. As I said, great lenses, shitty camera.

No, Peter, no. The the Leicaflex line were never intended as rough-country or combat camera but rather as platforms for art and architectural work. Hence, they lacked the need for rigidity the M had. Horses for courses.

The parachute story is a true one: a photographer was going to take some snaps of his fellow sky-divers. When his parachute opened, the jar broke the strap holding the camera and it fell to the ground. The fellow carefully guided his parachute to land nearby and then walked over to pick up the camera. It worked perfectly save that the RF prism had been fractured. Leitz fixed that at no charge in return for the story. That was around 1955. I have the article and can scan it and send it to you if you are interested.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!