[rollei_list] Re: New Haven pizza photos

  • From: todd belcher <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:10:39 -0700

There is much BS with pasta and Marco Polo. The Italians had pasta before Marco Polo.

todd

On 23-May-06, at 10:21 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

There is much BS with Pizza. A shop on Route 10 north of New Haven claims
to have introduced real Italian Pizza to the US, and their claim might be
correct, though no one doubts that the origin came from Italy and, for that
matter, the pizza we eat here is quite a bit different from the southern
Italian apizza with its lack of tomatoes and its heavy coatings of olive
oil and sardines and the like.

One of my many ex-wives once noted that Marco Polo brought the recipe for
Pasta back from China in the 13th century, AD, while Sir Walter Raleigh
brought the Tomatoe to the Old World at the break of the 16th and 17th
centuries. Her question then was about the Italian diet BEFORE they had
pasta and tomoatoes and the answer is simple: the Italians lived on fish,
cheeze, bread, and wine. A Roman Legion, around 100 AD, actually mutinied
when forced to live on beef for a month. Go figure: one in ten were
killed to make a dietary point.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!