[rollei_list] Re: Marginal Rollie Magic eBay win?

  • From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:21:10 +0000 (GMT)

I have a fully-functioning and very clean Magic (the
meter is even accurate, a real rarity!) for whch I
paid £75 - what's that, some way under $150. I don't
believe anything less than a totally as-new, boxed
Magic is worth more than $200 in the UK market. A
Magic 2 is worth quite a bit more for precisely the
reasons Jerry states. In any case, this camera is not
as described, so good luck getting a refund.

Nick

--- Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Keith,
>
> If you want my honest comment, you have been
> screwed.
>
> First of all a RolleiMagic is useless because the
> meter is
> almost certain to be dead. There is no manual
> function,
> unless it is a Rolleimagic 2.
>
> If you want to put it on your shelf for display, it
> is worth
> about $200.
>
> My suggestion is to give it back for a full refund
>
> Jerry
>
> keith_w wrote:
>
> > Fellow Rollei users/owners...
> >
> > Sorry to interfere here, but...I have a comment or
> two and a question,
> > if you don't mind.
> >
> > I've always wanted a good Rollei, and now I have
> one!
> >
> > I saw this Rollei Magic on eBay, and bought it!
> >
> > Now that I've got it in my hands, I need to pass
> on my observations, and
> > solicit your comments in response...
> >
> >   * * * *
> >
> > I'm NOT all that happy with my "new" Rollei!
> >
> > The item's title (on eBay) read "Rollei Magic -
> Beautiful Rolleiflex TLR
> > camera - Mint n'Box."
> >
> > The ad's Subject line said "Absolutely gorgeuos
> [sic] Rollei Magic with
> > original case, instruction manual. Everything is
> functioning and in good
> > working order."
> > Also, he said, "I would rate it as a 9 1/2 to near
> 10."
> > (Except for the hood and the manual, I would tend
> to agree...however,
> > please read the following!)
> >
> > He also said, "Within 10 working business days of
> receiving your order,
> > money back if not as described."
> > With that time constraint in mind, I submit the
> following:
> >
> > To begin with, all of the hood has, at some time,
> experienced corrosion
> > of some kind, because the outer "band" or
> periphery has been
> > amateurishly repainted with black enamel, covering
> but not obscuring all
> > the little corrosion nubs. Most obvious coverup.
> >
> > On examination of the leather(ette?) on the top
> face of the hood, it's
> > coming loose in several areas. It has lifted up,
> corners curling.
> > To be frank, I _did_ see that on the images on the
> auction photos, but
> > wasn't sure what it was... Now I know.
> >
> > Another observation, on merely turning the camera
> body upside down, the
> > hood falls totally open! That should not be, it
> seems to me...
> > It could be the camera was dropped on the hood at
> one time, and it was
> > never fixed properly ~ or never replaced - I
> really don't know.
> >
> > The "instruction manual" advertised as
> accompanying the camera is merely
> > a xeroxed copy of the original manual's pages,
> hurriedly stapled
> [...]

Yahoo! Model Search 2005 - Find the next catwalk superstars -
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hot/model-search/