[rollei_list] Re: Lens Flare

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:25:51 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 11:55 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Lens Flare

Could it be a combination of several things?

F.x. the circle is perhaps the chrome lens surround and the lines are a roller that is reflected back from one of the elements (thus making a mirror image of itself, i.e. a cross)?

Just thinking out loud.

Thor

It _could_ be more than one thing, in fact, I think it likely is but I think they only way to find out what is to duplicate the effect using the ground glass than then see if it can be traced by examining the aerial image. I doubt very much that its a roller reflection. Its in the wrong place and the light causing it is in the wrong place. It looks like a highly aberrated internal reflection from the lens. Zeiss seems to have been careful of internal reflections but maybe missed this one. I would check my 2.8E but it has a Xenotar rather than a Planar and I doubt if the internal reflections of the two are the same.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx