[rollei_list] Re: Completely OT- Loudspeaker info

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:12:12 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Lehrer" <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:22 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Completely OT- Loudspeaker info

> Peter,
>
> Dolby was NOT a con man.  His contributions had great
> merit.
>
> Jerry

  I certainly agree. Dolby's idea of the split band
compander was not new, Bell Labs had used such a thing in
the past, but his method of applying it and ability to make
a practical system were unique. The Dolby system made
multiple track recording possible. I had a chance to talk to
Ray Dolby on a few occasions. He was an interesting guy and
very concerned with quality. If the company had a fault it
was a sort of wishful thinking. They just went into denial
about problems, especially those from the Dolby Stereo
system for motion pictures. All old news now. Ray's wife,
Dagmar, who used to help at conventions, was a knock out and
no fooling.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA