[roc-chat] Re: New 'mass launch' rules

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:28:26 -0700

On 4/20/2012 6:19 PM, Sam Fineberg wrote:

That might be the distinction that makes the difference -- I don't know that the postings I was reading were differentiating between low and high-power rockets.

On the other hand, we're going to have to be on our toes, as if the logic is 'valid' for model rockets, I can easily see it encroaching on the high-power limits over time.

David Erbas-White

The >10 rockets, 1.5x altitude rule is for model rockets, not HPR. For HPR, it says "When conducting a simultaneous launch of more than one high power rocket I will observe the additional requirements of NFPA 1127." Personally, I think that is bad wording, since most people (including myself) don't know what NFPA 1127 says. It seems like a safety code should be self contained. Luckily the new rules don't take effect until August, so we will all have time to break out copies of NFPA.

Sam