[roc-chat] Re: New 'mass launch' rules

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:23:59 -0700

On 4/20/2012 4:04 PM, Allen Farrington wrote:

Unfortunately, you might be mistaken, Allen (and Wedge might be right). This exact same discussion is taking place in the NAR newsgroups, and the latest word is that this IS the intent of the new regulation. Basically, since there is no way to ensure safety for a mass launch, then all personnel are required to be outside the possible ballistic range of the rocket (with the 50% safety factor).

And bear in mind that this discussion was taking place even for a launch of a dozen Alphas on A8-3 motors -- the new requirements would be 500'. For a Wizards using C6-7 motors, this would be a half-mile or so. If they are validating these distances for low-power rockets, I can't imagine any variation being made for the high-power ones...

Of course, one could propose multiple banks of 10 rockets at a time, and as soon as each rack of 10 has been launched without CATO or land-shark, you move on to the next rack...

If I hear anything further, I'll pass it along, but this appears to be 'real'.

David Erbas-White

Nope. The change is to treat mass launches of that size as if they are complex rockets on terms of standoff. This does not alter the range sizes (different table) which is where the 1/2 the maximum altitude rule comes in.

Since ROC's range layout already accounts for complex rockets, this doesn't really affect us.

During our stand down period, the ROC board is reviewing our range layout and procedures to continue our safety focus.

Allen
Terseness and mis-spelling courtesy of my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Wedge Oldham <wedgeoldham@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:wedgeoldham@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

So Goblins on Ks with an expected altitude of 10k need to be setup 15000 feet from the flightline?!?!?

On Apr 20, 2012 2:53 PM, "David Erbas-White" <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Don't know if folks have seen it yet, but as of this summer the
    new guidelines for mass launches (anything more than 10 rockets)
    simultaneously means the stand-off distance is 1.5 times expected
    maximum altitude (NAR rules, but drawn from NFPA, so I would
    expect TRA to follow suit if they haven't done so already).

    Guess the 'K' Goblin drag races will be but a memory, now...

    David Erbas-White

-- ROC-Chat mailing list
    roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>