[roc-chat] Re: New 'mass launch' rules

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 20:57:11 -0700

On 4/20/2012 8:02 PM, Rick Dickinson wrote:

My bigger concern is that this may be an NFPA thing. Of course, I don't know who has seen the new NFPA rules yet, but the scuttlebutt (as I understand it, and I could definitely be mistaken) was that these numbers were put forth due to discussions with the pyrotechnic folks on the committee. If that's the case, then it's almost going to be moot what the NAR Trustees want to do.

As a complete side note, even presuming it was a sensible recommendation, the choice of ten as maximum (rather than twelve) is strange, given that most clubs I've seen use 'six-pack' launchers...

David Erbas-White

I'll talk to Trip and a couple of the other NAR trustees this weekend, and lobby hard for some sanity, in that case. This is silly.

JACK GARIBALDI <JackGaribaldi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

    That is lame so if an Alpha was to go to 1000ft like Wedge said them 10 of
them would require a 1500ft safe distance and there will be very few clubs
putting 10 Alphas now at 1500 ft safe distance I don't even think Trip's club
will accommodate that so the underlined is they want to do away with mass
launching. I will rally for Tripoli not to follow suit.
    Jack

    On Apr 20, 2012, at 7:46 PM, "David Erbas-White"<derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

    >  On 4/20/2012 6:42 PM, Allen H Farrington wrote:
    >>
    >>  3) Safe Launch Distance for Spectators and Participants
    >>  This is the one that is being modified. There are defined distances in both NFPA
1122 and 1127 for how far you have to be from a launch pad when you ignite the motor. This
distance ranges from 15 feet to nearly 1500 feet depending on impulse. For complex rockets, the
distances are "one impulse level higher" if you look at the table. This works out to
be about 1.5 times. Since ROC uses a range layout that allows folks to be at one set of pads
while the other are launching, we have a range layout that accommodates these distances.
(except for the aforementioned M-to-M, 2 stage, Mass Launch). In any case, the absolute maximum
distance required for any combination in CA is about 1/2 a mile (2250 ft). Other states allow
larger impulses and therefore their ranges might be larger.

    >  Allen,
    >
    >  First, a TREMENDOUS thanks for all that you and the rest of the board
are doing for ROC.

    >  Second, here is the exact wording of the new safety code (i.e., the
wording of the change):

    >  "When conducting a simultaneous launch of more than ten rockets I will
observe a safe distance of 1.5 times the maximum expected altitude of any launched
rocket."

    >  In the course of the discussions on the NAR group, and apparently as
part of NFPA as well, this DOES mean that (at least for model rockets), that
rather than being 15 feet away from a launch of a single Alpha, one would have to
be 1.5 times the distance of the maximum expected ALTITUDE (not the previous
safety distance) for a launch of more than ten rockets.

    >  Note that this would affect some of our current activities, even with
some of the sparsely attended launches.  We sometimes launch the entire front row
if we're getting backed up -- this rule will now prevent this from being possible
(though we could launch up to ten rockets at a time).