[roc-chat] Re: Burial in Space

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:19:00 -0700

On 8/28/2012 9:10 PM, BSUTTONH97@xxxxxxx wrote:

In flyable condition?  <G>

When would such a memorial be proposed for?

David Erbas-White

Just out of curiosity, How many of you out there have a Saturn V available for a mass launch memorial?
Since Armstong also commanded Gemini 8, Gemini-Titans count too.
In a message dated 8/28/2012 1:47:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx writes:

    We all knew what Wedge meant.
    Like many people (my age), I have mixed emotions about Neil
    Armstrong's death.  For us, he lived a life that we could only
    dream of, and it was a long life. From reading what Neil wrote and
    others that have commented on his life, he deserved every second
    of the opportunities provided to him and the fame that went along
    with it.  He worked hard and was a hell of a pilot.
    I recall an interview many years after the incident where he was
    training on the LM flight simulator, when the interviewer asked
    Neil, "after what happened, did you really go to your office and
    sit at your desk and do paperwork?"  Neil replied, "why yes I
    did", and the reporter said, "but you almost died!"  Neil just
    smiled and said, "but I didn't."  Dang, what a man!
    So, he was smart, courageous, and certainly talented.  Some might
    disagree with me here, but I think there are people like Neil that
    are just as talented and they just need the chance.  I think that
    what Neil and many other past astronauts would want most
    is for the USA to be courageous and carry on our exploration of
    space, and I think it would serve their memory best to do just that.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Richard
    On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Jeff Gortatowsky
    <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        No matter where Neil is buried. He, I, and you, for that
        matter, will return to space. Nothing but time need pass. IO
        very elegant.
        *>From:*Wedge Oldham <wedgeoldham@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:wedgeoldham@xxxxxxxxx>>