[roc-chat] Re: Burial in Space

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ROC-Chat <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:17:16 -0700

Neil also flew the X-15 rocket plane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcOaApIDn-4

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/08/neil-armstrong-aircraft/?utm_source=feedburner&pid=2232

Rick

From: BSUTTONH97@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 00:10:25 -0400
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Burial in Space
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just out of curiosity, How many of you out there have a Saturn V available for
a mass launch memorial?

Since Armstong also commanded Gemini 8, Gemini-Titans count too.

In a message dated 8/28/2012 1:47:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx writes:

We all knew what Wedge meant.

Like many people (my age), I have mixed emotions about Neil Armstrong's death.
For us, he lived a life that we could only dream of, and it was a long life.
From reading what Neil wrote and others that have commented on his life, he
deserved every second of the opportunities provided to him and the fame that
went along with it.  He worked hard and was a hell of a pilot.

I recall an interview many years after the incident where he was training on
the LM flight simulator, when the interviewer asked Neil, "after what happened,
did you really go to your office and sit at your desk and do paperwork?"  Neil
replied, "why yes I did", and the reporter said, "but you almost died!"  Neil
just smiled and said, "but I didn't."  Dang, what a man!

So, he was smart, courageous, and certainly talented.  Some might disagree with
me here, but I think there are people like Neil that are just as talented and
they just need the chance.  I think that what Neil and many other past
astronauts would want most is for the USA to be courageous and carry on our
exploration of space, and I think it would serve their memory best to do just
that.

Just my 2 cents.

Richard

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No matter where Neil is buried. He, I, and you, for that matter, will return to
space. Nothing but time need pass. IO very elegant.