[riscos-printing] Re: Problems Installing Gutenprint

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:11:05 +0200

In message <c9bb054451.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <mpro.l6syip0mtbh0g0389.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> [printing to Epson S21]
>>
>> The printer showed a flashing green light and clicked a bit (as if
>> resetting), but did not print anything.

> There are four things that could be wrong in this case:
> a) the printer is broken
> b) the printer refuses to print due to some internal diagnostics
>    (e.g., out of ink or an ink cartridge not correctly seated)
> c) the printer cable is broken
> d) the Gutenprint S21 driver does not work (unlikely - I am sure
>    someone else would have noticed)

Actually, it is d) and someone did notice. Today saw the release of
Gutenprint 5.2.6 and the ChangeLog says "Fix printing to Epson S20,
S21, T20, T21". The bug report describes exactly the same symptoms as
you did above. So, it appears that S20 support was broken in the 5.2.5
release, on which the current RISC OS version is based. This will be
fixed in the next Gutenprint for RISC OS release (sorry, no estimate
for when this will happen).

Martin