[riscos-printing] Re: Problems Installing Gutenprint

  • From: Ian Hamilton <Ian_Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 09:12:54 +0100

In article <mpro.l6syip0mtbh0g0389.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve
Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've just spent the afternoon trying to install Gutenprint 2.40 on an
> Iyonix (running both RISC OS 5.09 and, by the end of the afternoon,
> 5.16).  It was using a copy of "Pop-Up" Printers 1.72 (I think, from
> memory), and is connected via USB to an Epson Stylus S21.

[Snip]

> Everything appeared to work, and printing from Draw resulted in the
> Gutenprint dialogue opening and the progress bar moving to 100% and
> reporting that the print was complete.

[Snip]

> I tried adding PrintSpool to the chain: that saw data coming from
> Gutenprint and claimed that it was being spooled out to the printer.
> There was still no output.  Changing the connection to "To File" in
> Printers resulted in a file with printer data in it on disc, so clearly
> something was being generated.

From PrintSpool iconbar menu 'Show>Queues' would give the equivalent of
the 'To File' output as that is how it works.

You should change the PrintSpool buffer size to 96K for a modern printer.

> Does anyone have any ideas where the problem may lie?  I haven't
> verified that the S21 works (as there was no other machine aside from
> the Iyo available), so this is one thing that I plan to check on
> returning.  Can anyone suggest anything on the RISC OS side to check,
> or any other diagnostics that I could do?

> I've never used a USB printer on RISC OS before, so I'm not entirely
> sure where to look -- but I have a feeling I'm missing something very
> obvious.

As far as I can see you have installed everything correctly. I'm assuming
there weren't any error messages from Gutenprint.

Does the printer have a 'Test page' or 'Setup page' facility? That would
check the printer is OK and might show a printer configuration problem.

Lower the output resolution (Shift and left mouse button click on the
printer icon). Print a small section of a page to test, if it does print
you can increase the resolution again gradually.

HTH,
Ian

--
Ian Hamilton (Iyonix RO5)  http://www.hamiltoni.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/