[riscos-printing] Problems Installing Gutenprint

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 23:01:37 +0100

I've just spent the afternoon trying to install Gutenprint 2.40 on an Iyonix
(running both RISC OS 5.09 and, by the end of the afternoon, 5.16).  It was
using a copy of "Pop-Up" Printers 1.72 (I think, from memory), and is
connected via USB to an Epson Stylus S21.

Unfortunately I've never used Gutenprint before (as it doesn't support my
printer), and the machine isn't mine so I had a limited time window
available to fault-find and no useful internet access while doing it.  As
such, apologies if anything here is in RTFM territory (I don't have the FM
to hand now either, which would have been useful).

I initially found that the system had GimpPrint apparently installed, so I
followed the upgrade instructions in the manual before rebooting, then
double-clicking the S21's definition file and using PrtSet2USB to correct
the default parallel connection.  Everything appeared to work, and printing
from Draw resulted in the Gutenprint dialogue opening and the progress bar
moving to 100% and reporting that the print was complete.

The printer showed a flashing green light and clicked a bit (as if
resetting), but did not print anything.

Some investigation revealed that the original GimpPrint installation may not
have been fully set up, so I then walked through the manual installation
instructions (and then through the commands in !Install) to make sure that
everything was being booted or run correctly (GemPrint wasn't being run, so
I corrected that and rebooted again).

Still no printer output.  We also tried printing from Impression Style, with
no more results.

I tried adding PrintSpool to the chain: that saw data coming from Gutenprint
and claimed that it was being spooled out to the printer.  There was still
no output.  Changing the connection to "To File" in Printers resulted in a
file with printer data in it on disc, so clearly something was being
generated.

Does anyone have any ideas where the problem may lie?  I haven't verified
that the S21 works (as there was no other machine aside from the Iyo
available), so this is one thing that I plan to check on returning.  Can
anyone suggest anything on the RISC OS side to check, or any other
diagnostics that I could do?

I've never used a USB printer on RISC OS before, so I'm not entirely sure
where to look -- but I have a feeling I'm missing something very obvious.

(Apologies if I've missed any steps out: the above is all from memory).

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/