[riscos-printing] Re: Problems Installing Gutenprint

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:42:54 +0200

In message <mpro.l6syip0mtbh0g0389.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I initially found that the system had GimpPrint apparently installed, so I
> followed the upgrade instructions in the manual before rebooting, then
> double-clicking the S21's definition file and using PrtSet2USB to correct
> the default parallel connection.  Everything appeared to work, and printing
> from Draw resulted in the Gutenprint dialogue opening and the progress bar
> moving to 100% and reporting that the print was complete.

> The printer showed a flashing green light and clicked a bit (as if
> resetting), but did not print anything.

That sounds as if everything was set up correctly and data has arrived
at the printer's end, but maybe not the correct data.

> Some investigation revealed that the original GimpPrint installation may not
> have been fully set up, so I then walked through the manual installation
> instructions (and then through the commands in !Install) to make sure that
> everything was being booted or run correctly (GemPrint wasn't being run, so
> I corrected that and rebooted again).

No, that cannot have been the case. There is no way you could have
achieved the above without GemPrint running. You would never have seen
a Gutenprint dialogue because Gutenprint (GPDriver) is only run by
GemPrint. So, that means that GemPrint was being run, so maybe your
changes have caused it to be run twice (which should not do any harm
though).

> [...]

> Does anyone have any ideas where the problem may lie?  I haven't verified
> that the S21 works (as there was no other machine aside from the Iyo
> available), so this is one thing that I plan to check on returning.  Can
> anyone suggest anything on the RISC OS side to check, or any other
> diagnostics that I could do?

There are four things that could be wrong in this case:
a) the printer is broken
b) the printer refuses to print due to some internal diagnostics
   (e.g., out of ink or an ink cartridge not correctly seated)
c) the printer cable is broken
d) the Gutenprint S21 driver does not work (unlikely - I am sure
   someone else would have noticed)

Martin