[regional_school] Re: Update

  • From: Dan Drmacich <dandrmacich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:34:01 -0800 (PST)

Ellen, Great questions! If teens & their interests & needs were really central
to the question of, "What makes a good school?" the entire paridigm of learning
would shift, because those in charge would be holding themselves accountable to
the needs & interests of students rather than politicians. Ed. leaders would be
forced to address the issue of what kind of student learning goals, curriculum,
pedegogy & accountability/assessmet system would best meet the needs &
interests of kids. If they were serious about addressing kids' needs &
interests, the education system would move toward one that would be
individualized & personalized. Now wouldn't that be exciting?

Dan

MITA Brain Based Center Web Site  at www.mitaleadership.com

From: Brad Cherin <bcher14620@xxxxxxxxx>
To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, January 15, 2010, 8:15 AM

Hi Bill,

I am going through the process to discern the value of mayoral control.

In what ways is an elected school board versus an elected mayor more or less a
democracy?  I could make the argument that in a crisis type situation
leadership with one head is more effective than leadership with 7 heads.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Brad Cherin