[real-eyes] THE HOLY CROSS BLIND OUTREACH NEWSLETTER

  • From: "dauidr@xxxxxxxx" <dauidr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: First-Steps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 06:35:04 GMT

Hi, everyone,.

Well, it's better late delivering the newsletter for June than never. I will be
getting out July's  sooner than the meal. I promise. (grin)

The newsletter is below my signature.

David
Matt. 28:19-20

THE HOLY CROSS BLIND OUTREACH NEWSLETTER

Holy Cross Lutheran Church
2003 NE Englewood Road
Kansas City, MO  64118
www.holycrosskc.org

GREETINGS
        We Americans rejoice in our freedoms. Ours is the availability of the
press. We can write letters to the editor against government policy. The
freedom of speech has opened up the whole world and worldwide web to even our
own crafted opinions.
        For us Americans, freedom is freedom from others’ control and
dictation. It is freedom to each of our desired happiness. We have much to
celebrate when it comes to our freedoms as Americans.
         Christian freedom also causes us to rejoice and praise our Lord who
gives it to us. “For freedom,” says Galatians 5:1, “Christ has set you free.”
We did not achieve it or earn it. Freedom in Christ Jesus is Christ Jesus’ gift
to us.
        But free from what? To what? At our Baptism, our Lord and Savior freed
each of us from the sin’s control. Yes, Satan may accuse us of following a
promise that seems to good to be true. Yet, neither he himself nor his smooth
talking temptations can themselves snatch us from Jesus’ merciful protection.
It is our succumbing to such lies that causes us to stumble. And, for each
Christian, even then our Lord extends His once for all purchased forgiveness.
        Our Christian freedom is freedom to (first) trust in Christ in strength
and weakness, (second) recognize sinful stuff for what it is, and (thirdly)
serve our neighbor in need.
        Because Christ our Lord has baptized us into His death and
resurrection, He shows us all the bounty of His gifts. His body broken on
Calvary comes to us, together with His blood in Holy Communion. It’s for our
forgiveness, too. It’s for our assurance because our Lord remains with us as He
has promised to be.
        We don’t have to prove ourselves worthy of God’s attention. Instead, He
frees us to trust He provides for our every need. He showers upon us house,
home, food, clothing, our ability to think and daily protection. It matters not
if we are rich or ppor. The homeless in Christ are just as free as the
Christian corporate CEO.
        Seeing the world’s temptation is more than shaking our finger at social
wrongs and shouting, “Just say “no”. Rather, the effects of sins, ours and
otherwise, become clearer. When we play the one-upmanship game and scheme to
get a friend’s social standing or prestige, we break our trust with God. We
trust in ourselves for ourselves.
        Even so, forgiven by Christ of our sins, we rejoice in being His means
of caring for people around us. Instead of scheming to get our friend’s
prestige or social standing, we can find ways of helping him. Is he/she in a
position of authority? We can pray he/she will act wisely. We can help his/her
employees or fellow volunteers with their responsibilities.
        Whether advocating for the blind, providing clothes for the homeless,
listening to someone’s frustrations, ours is the freedom to be of service to
others. For Christ has declared us heirs of His promised salvation, sons that
receive from Him faith to trust in Him alone.

WHAT’S FOR DINNER?
        This month, we are having pizza, soft drinks, and cake. If anyone has
any needs due to health/dietary concern, let me know so that we can make
accommodations.

WHO’S SPEAKING?
        Craig from Braille Bibles, International will present the services and
products his organization has to offer. He desires to distribute the written
Word of God in many formats to us. You can find more about Craig and Braille
Bibles Inc. at www.braillebibles.org.

Announcements
1.      CD’s of previous weeks’ sermons from Holy Cross will be available at
the meal fo the month, Saturday, June 26.
2.      2. Please, contact Ruby Polk or David Rosenkoetter with ideas for
upcoming meals—speakers, entertainment, etc.
3.      3. For Braille, large print, or cassette Christian resources, call the
Lutheran Library for the Blind at (888) 215-2455.
COMMUNITY CALENDAR
July 4: Independence Day
July 10: First Steps for the Blind; call Cathy Pyper at (816) 455-5219 to find
out more about First Steps.
July 17: Progressive Council of the Blind; call Barbara Dewberry  at (816)
255-3610 for information and meeting times for PCB.
July 17: National Federation of the Blind. Call Ruby Polk for more about NFB
and to find out time and location of meetings.
July 31: Holy Cross Blind Outreach meal of the month. Please, call David
Rosenkoetter for information about Holy Cross Blind Outreach and to have a seat
at the meal of the month.

Services at Holy Cross Lutheran Church
Sunday mornings: 8:00 and 10:45 with Bible class at 9:30 PM.
Wednesdays: 7:00 PM

Now, may our Lord And Savior direct our days and our deeds in His peace.

David Rosenkoetter, Director (816) 805-7333
Ruby Polk, assistant director (816) 505-9993