[real-eyes] THE HOLY CROSS BLIND OUTREACH NEWSLETTER

  • From: "dauidr@xxxxxxxx" <dauidr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: first-Steps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:02:05 GMT

THE HOLY CROSS BLIND OUTREACH NEWSLETTER

Holy Cross Lutheran Church
2003 NE Englewood Road
Kansas City, MO  64118
www.holycrosskc.org
Pastors: the Rev. Richard Bolland and the Rev. Mark Stirdivant

July’s meal of the month: July 31, 2010, 12:00-2:00 PM

GREETINGS
What responses do we hear when admitting to a mistake we’ve made? What
“You’re fine…” “No problem…” and the list goes on.
We have grown accustomed to such responses because we have grown accustomed to
the results of mistakes we make. Flaming words lead to broken relationships.
Lack of communication leads to families’ squabbles. All the while, we feel
helpless in our inability to change others opinions, let alone our own
circumstances.
On the other hand, ours is a supersensitive age. We are fixated on people’s
self-esteem. So, instead of confronting someone with their wrong, we talk
around the issue. Instead of helping them see their fault, even when their
fault has been died and paid for, we blow past it.
In the light of God’s Law, let alone our frail consciences, blown over
arguments do not make a situation “okay”. We are not “fine” when we have said
something derogatory or expressed our guilt in taking advantage of a friend’s
kindness. And, “no problem” lies in someone’s admitting their mistake—until
they disrupt our lives by making it again.
Our pet responses to conflict are temporary. They are fleeting even as we
ourselves have coated them in our desire to make our friend or family member
feel better. They only last until we are offended again or until we cause
someone else distress.
But, in spite of ourselves, into our lives steps a glorious and enduring
response to our admitted wrongs. Onto our lips comes the phrase by which we
take someone else’s “I’m sorry” seriously. That phrase is, “You are forgiven.”
We ourselves cannot forget angry words, hurtful remarks, physical abuse, or
vented rage. Try as we might, we cannot let time smooth out all the wrinkles.
Yet, “you are forgiven,” points us and others to Jesus who has taken away all
our offenses and created in us clean hearts each day.
For Jesus Christ bore our sins in His own body to Calvary once, in real
history, in our place. He died for them and buried them forever. He rose from
the dead and is triumphant over our offenses of thought, word, and action. He
has defeated death. He has conquered Satan, our wicked foe, who screams out his
accusation against us.
“You are forgiven,” takes us back to the cross of Christ and the empty
tomb—Christ Jesus’ death and resurrection into which He Himself has baptized
us. It is a comfort that He has baptized us. For, as long as we live, we have
the cleansing assurance that He includes us in the blessings of His sufferings,
death, and resurrection.
Take this illustration from the world of guide dog commands. When a handler
tells his/her guide to “leave it,” he/she is calling that dog back from the
distractions which are impeding his/her work.
In declaring to each other, “you are forgiven,” we speak the kind invitation
for a friend, coworker, or family member to leave their guilt that distracts
them from trusting in God. Christ Jesus has already taken it on Himself once
for all. He sooths our consciences with His peace. He remembers our sin no more.
Because Christ Jesus has freed us from the burden and guilt of our sin, He
gives us the words to speak to one another each day. “You are forgiven.” Your
peace with God and with each other is restored. Thanks be to Jesus!

 What’s For Dinner?
This month, we are having a picnic of sorts indoors. Come, enjoy some hot dogs
and burgers in the comfort of air conditioning and a relaxed, friendly
afternoon.
If you have any dietary needs, please, let David Rosenkoetter know at (816)
805-7333. He and the cooks will help you out.
If you are needing a ride to and from the meal, please, let us know by
Wednesday evening.

BINGO
        This month, we are playing Bingo. So, get ready to check those Nnumbers
and place those chips. Thanks to our volunteers, we will have small prizes for
everyone who wins. We’ll form exes, straight rows, and diagonals. We may even
fill the board. It’s a time to have fun.

RESOURCE OF THE MONTH
        Amid our ages of i-pods and stream readers, many of us still enjoy
reading books in Braille, large print and—yes—cassette. The Lutheran Library
for the Blind is committed to the continuation of books in these formats for
our reading pleasure.
        Along with the magazines we feature in this section of the newsletter,
the Lutheran Library for the Blind has a wide variety of fiction and nonfiction
titles—being as it is the largest Christian lending library for the blind in
the world. You can call (888) 215-2455 and speak with Nancy Crawford, the
library director, to order books free of charge.

Announcements and Reminders
1.      CD’s of prior weeks’ sermons from Holy Cross will be available at the
meal of the month.
2.      2. Braille and large print copies of the newsletter will be handed out
for anyone who wants them.
3.      3. For any requests such as to add items to the Community Calendar, to
mention a prayer request ahead of the meal, or to express a need or
concern—call David Rosenkoetter at (816) 805-7333 or Ruby Polk at (816)
505-9993.

Partners in the Blindness Community
Do you have an agency or service you would like everyone to know about? Let me
know. This section will be an ongoing list of groups and services in our
blindness community or who help us in our time of need.

The columns follow each other as applicable: Name, phone number, email address,
and website. We hope these services will prove helpful to you.

Alphapointe Services for the Blind: (816) 421-4858; www.alphapointe.org
First Steps For The Blind: (816) 455-t5219; www.firststepsfortheblind.org
The Missouri Council for the Blind/American Council of the Blind:
www.moblind.org
The National Federation of the Blind: www.nfb.org
Rehabilitation Services for the Blind of Missouri: (800) 592-6004
Share A Fare (KCATA) (816) 842-9070; www.kcata.org
The Whole Person: www.thewholeperson.org

 (COMMUNITY CALENDAR
August 6, 2010: Allied Workers of the Blind; call Terrie Arnold to find out
more about meeting times and location at (816) 363-6658.
August 14, 2010: First Steps for the Blind; call Cathy Pyper at (816) 455-5219
to for more information and meeting times.
August 18, 2010: First Steps for the Blind; an evening alternative meeting time.
August 21, 2010: Progressive Council of the Blind; Call Barbara Dewberry for
more information at (816) 255-3610.
August 19, 2010: Blinded Veterans of America; call Ed Reyes at (816) 454-3312
for more information and resources.
August 21, 2010: National Federation of the Blind; Call Ruby Polk to learn more
about the NFB at (816) 505-9993.
August 28, 2010: Holy Cross Blind Outreach meal of the month; Call David
Rosenkoetter at (816) 805-7333 or Ruby Polk at (816) 505-9993 for more
information and to reserve a ride to and from the meal.

Worship at Holy Cross Lutheran Church:
Sunday morning: Worship  at 8:00 and 10:45 AM
Bible Class at 9:30 AM
Wednesday evening: Worship at 7:00 PM
(
Please call the church office at (816) 452-9113 to find out more about Holy
Cross Lutheran Church.

Now, may the Lord direct our days and our deeds in His peace.

David Rosenkoetter
Matt. 28:19-20