[real-eyes] THE HOLY CROSS BLIND OUTREACH NEWSLETTER

  • From: "dauidr@xxxxxxxx" <dauidr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: r.polk1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, beth8000@xxxxxxxxx, sagrauel@xxxxxxxxxx, icedog1@xxxxxxxxx, djh38@xxxxxxx, crunch1@xxxxxxxxx, bdewberry@xxxxxxxxx, eldoncox@xxxxxxxxx, vstanard@xxxxxxxxx, dwight.13@xxxxxxxx, adapt@xxxxxxxxx, cpyper@xxxxxxxxx, ed-alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tarnold2@xxxxxxxxx, jpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:19:25 GMT

THE HOLY CROSS BLIND OUTREACH NEWSLETTER

Holy Cross Lutheran Church
2003 NE Englewood Road
Kansas City, MO  64118
(816) 452-9113

GREETINGS
        You and I have repeated the phrase so many times we almost don’t know
when we say it: “I promise I will…” And we don’t. “I promise I will call you at
nine.” And I don’t. “I promise I will keep your frustrations between me and
you.” And I forget.
        We make promises to our friends, spouse, and other family members
because we wish to assure them we will follow through. A promise ideally puts
all conflict or road blocks that could get in the way aside for the person to
whom we say it.
        In Genesis 17, we read of Sarah’s response to the Lord’s promise to
give her and Abraham a son. She laughed..at God!
Suspicious Sarah not only knew she and Abraham were past childbearing years,
she had seen Abraham break his share of promises. He had called her his sister
and not his wife when they were in Egypt. He had slept with Hagar and given
birth to Ishmael. So, was Abraham, who she generously called “lord” going to
make a baby with her?
        How easily we promise each other the world, especially when we find
someone to date or befriend. Our relationship will solve the ills, right the
wrongs, and never let the other person down. To His credit, God has given some
the gift to remember the promises they make. Then again, our brains can turn
our promises into guilt trips for others. God has granted some an extra measure
of loyalty. And, we turn our loyalty to a rose-colored glass through which we
refuse to see others’ glaring faults. So, our best attempts at complimenting
sound forced or overwhelming.
        Most of the time, we, like Sarah, become suspicious. We have been
promised that “next time” someone will give our application for employment a
better look. “Next time,” that ride will be on time. “Next time,” our guide at
the grocery store will read the labels right and make sure the cashier hands us
back the right amount of change. Have we experienced that “next time” as a
repeat of before. Sure, we have.
        Now, we may not be as bold as Sarah who laughed at God at her tent’s
door. Instead, we get even by venting with our friends. We say that “next time”
we’ll get the upper hand or set matters straight.
        What a tragic field of carnage we let lay around—our “next times”, our
“I promises…” And that road that road we travel on is paved with good
intentions. So, we doubt and put conditions, even small ones, before our chest
as shields. So, if trusting each other is tough, how much tougher it is to
trust in God and the eternal life He offers? Ouch. We deserve His punishment
now and forever.
        But, our Lord doesn’t point us immediately to His string of “next
time”s. Instead, He shows us His promise fulfilled. On Calvary, crucified under
Pontius Pilate, Jesus kep His promise God the Father made to His whole
creation. “God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son, that
whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.” (John
3:16) There, at Calvary, our Lord bled and died for your and my forgiveness, to
take away your and my doubts, cynicism, and suspicions. And, on the third day,
as He promised He rose to life and showed Himself triumphant over death before
ascending again into heaven.
        The story for Abraham and Sarah did not end in suspicious laughter.
Fast forward to the next spring! “Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to
Abraham in his old age, at the very time
God had promised him. Abraham gave the name Isaac to the son Sarah bore him.”
(Gen. 19:2-3) God gave Abraham the very real assurance of children as He had
promised. Now, He assures us daily of life free for trusting in Him.
        Happy ever after? Not yet. We still face let downs. Discrimination
still hurts as do broken promises—ours and others. That’s where Jesus’ keeping
His promises gives us the courage to say “I’m sorry,” for our not keeping the
ones we make. And, He gives us the opportunities to speak forgiveness to people
who have not kept their word with us.
        God’s promise keeps speaking, too. He pours into our lives many
opportunities where we can help and befriend each other in our times of need
and times of fun. And, on the Last Day, He come and take us to heaven forever.

WHAT’S FOR DINNER?
        This month, we are having lasagna and assorted vegies. Of course, the
dessert, which remains a surprise will be great! If you have any dietary needs
and want to come, let us know and we will accommodate.
        Remember, you don’t have to join anything to join us for dinner.

WHO’S TALKING?
        This month, Pastor Dave Andrus is speaking to us. He is the head
director of Lutheran Blind Mission in St. Louis. He and the head office there
oversee over sixty groups similar to ours.

RESOURCE OF THE MONTH
        Have you wondered if there were other groups of blind people meeting as
we do on the last Saturday of the month? There are over sixty groups holding
free, monthly meals like ours—some earlier in the month and some on the same
Saturday as us. One magazine on CD tells of people and events at the various
outreach centers. It is called CONNECTIONS, and you can order it from the
Lutheran Library for the Blind.
        Just call (888) 215-2455 and speak to Nancy, Sherry, or Lisa.

NOTES AND REMINDERS
1.      CD’s of previous weeks’ sermons from Holy Cross will be available upon
request at the meal fo the month.
2.      2. We will also be providing large print and braille copies of the
newsletter.
COMMUNITY CALENDAR
March 4: Allied Workers for the Blind
March 8: Share A Fare Review Meeting
March 9: Ash Wednesday
March 10: Blind Pension [payments
March 12: First Steps for the Blind
March 19: Progressive Council of the Blind
March 19: NFB Meeting
March 26: Holy Cross Blind Outreach Meal of the Month

Each Sunday: Worship opportunities at Holy Cross Lutheran Church:
8:00 and 10:45 AM: Sunday Services
9:30 AM: Bible Class

Now, may the Lord direct your days and your deeds in His peace.

David Rosenkoetter, director: (816) 805-7333
Assistants:
Ruby Polk: (816) 505-9993
Shirley Grauel: 587-5406

Now, may the Lord direct your days and your deeds in His peace.