[pure-silver] Re: wiring diagram for Devere 108S?

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:24:48 -0600

On Nov 16, 2007, at 8:11 AM, Martin Jangowski wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Shannon Stoney wrote:

I talked to the people at Odyssey sales and the guy there had actually built these enlargers at one time. He said that he could send me a wiring diagram! He also told me that the missing fuse had nothing to do with the light not working; it goes with the motor that moves the baseboard up and down, and that has never worked.

If your lamps work with household voltage (230V in Europe, 110V (?) in the states) chances are that there is something wrong with the wiring.

That's what my helper has concluded.
The problem will be moving the huge thing away from the wall to open it up.

More "modern" enlargers often use things like stabilized power supplies and low(er) voltage halogen bulbs. My Durst G139 with its CLS1000 head has one of these stabilized supplies.

Somebody told me recently that that is only really important when making color prints. Is that true?

I recently opened it to view the innards and just hope that there will never be a failure with it... it gets 230V from the enlarger timer and the net, feeds the 120V/1000W halogen bulb with stabilized voltage, keeps the bulb on a low voltage (about 15V) when not currently exposing (to minimize thermic stress to the filament by keeping it glowing dark red), creates voltage-ramps for soft starting and stopping the bulb (it takes about 1s after engaging the timer until the bulb voltage is up, the light output ist stabilized and the filament has a constant temperature), it opens and closes the shutter, keeps the bulb a few seconds fully on after exposure, but closes the shutter, lowers the voltage to the standby voltage after some more seconds and drives the bulb cooler according to usage.

To repair this thing without a service manual takes more than I'd be capable of. The complete thing is full of old school things like OpAmps, transistors, rectifiers, caps and coils. It is surprisingly light (no big 1kW transformator) and no unobtainable programmed logic, but it would take a lot of reverse engineering to rob its secrets. This is why I don't like the latest microprocessor controlled closed loop enlagers. These are by now dirt cheap, but no one will be able to repair them in a few years. I can hope to build a power supply that will deliver 24V for the fan and the shutter and 120V/8A for the bulb, but to recreate the whole soft-start shebang would be a lot of work.

The Devere 108S has two big metal boxes that sit on the floor. As far as I'm concerned, they are literally black boxes. I have no idea what goes on inside them, and the repair guy didn't seem to think they were very important. He focused on the wiring at the back of the column.

Anyway, when I got this thing, I knew it could be trouble, but I've also had a lot of fun with it, and it was affordable when I got it. Now I kind of like it, or even love it, and I want to get it up and running again. It's unlikely that another affordable 8x10 enlarger will come my way any time soon. I just need a back up head with the same kind of light so I can keep working (with the same negatives) when it's down.

--shannon

Grüße aus Hohenlohe,

        Martin Jangowski

| Martin Jangowski                         E-Mail: Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx|
|                        Netzwerke und Multimedia                     |
| Voice: +49 7946/3723                           Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4            74626 Bretzfeld Germany |