[pure-silver] Re: how critical is E6 temp and...

  • From: "EJ Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 17:16:49 -0600

Mark, You got a good array of answers. I have run both a 8x10 roller
transport Kreonite processor with Kodak's 6 Step chemicals and a Jobo ALT 2+
with both Kodak 6 and Tetenal's 3 step.

First the developing temp is critical to good consistency, but the first big
question is what will happen to the film after processing? Are you printing
directly? Scanning? Sending to client? If the intention is to scan, then I'd
change the way I shoot and develop. Since you really don't care about the up
front color, but rather the grain with color correction to come later, so
don't worry about anything other than the first developer time and temp.
There are a whole bunch of things that change color, wash temp, age and
dilution of reversal bath, pH of color developer, etc. So if this is all in
house just work out a temp and time that give you good contrast and
reasonable color that can be fixed with PS. When cibachromes were THE way to
make good prints, Al Weber came by the studio that I worked at and requested
some E6 processing that was pulled almost 2 stops. Why, He over exposed the
scene to get the shadow detail and by pulling it he could salvage the
highlights. All of which would come out in the wash so to speak when the
prints were made as Cibachrome WITHOUT the pain in the ^#@%Q&#% masking.

The advantage to running the jobo was small batches and easily made for
quick push and pull of film. The 6 step seemed to run cleaner and we had
less problem keeping the tanks ready for other processes.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226